Monday 21 May 2012

Doing an ultra marathan (but not running it!!)

Just spent a lovely time about four hours north where Rick was running an ultra marathon - 55 miles of really hilly trail and road running.  We dropped the children off with various friends and headed away on Friday, arriving late afternoon.  Although snow had been forcast at the beginning of the week, the weather was perfect and after an initial comedy with the room we were allocated, and a quick move, we spent a relaxing evening before an early night.  Breakfast was 5.30 am and it seemed as though everyone but me was an ultra runner but nevermind - good porridge anyway.  The runners were off at 7am and the day was so beautiful that I didn't want to go back into the hotel and decided to set off straight away to the first checkpoint.  Rick wasn't expecting me at this one so I hope he was pleased to see us (the dog and I) as he came up the hill.  We managed to fit a little walk in before the next checkpoint, where he was running strong and looking good.  It was so lovely driving and walking in the beautiful hills and even the waits at the checkpoints went quickly as I had a good book to read (No Need for Speed by John Bingham).  At the 3rd checkpoint Rick had taken the dog and she was raring to go.  By the 4th checkpoint Rick looked like he was having to dig really deep to continue (there were 11 drop outs in a race where only 69 were running).  I decided then to get to every point I could in the hope of giving him some encouragement.  It did make me realise that it doesn't come easy to him either so I perhaps need to be more disciplined about digging deeper.  I got to the end in time to have a quick cup of tea and watch Rick and the dog run down the hill for a strong finish.  Boy did I feel proud.
Will I ever run any more than 6.2 miles.  I hope so, but I am not sure I have the strength of character to give it what those guys on Saturday did!!!
Lovely day yesterday, enjoying a BBQ with some friends in the afternoon.  Life is good.
8.30 pm - Just been on a forest run with the two dogs.  What a wonderful evening to be out.  Forest runs in the morning feel like the forests are really mysterious, waking up and wondering what the day will bring.  In the evening, they are full of the happiness of how the day has been.  Today the light wasn't even fading yet and yet there was still an evening feel on the air.  It was a wonderful run, down beside a river, through a field and then into the forest.  The bluebells were out in the openings and it was altogether the best thing to be doing this evening!  Probably did 3 miles in total.


No comments:

Post a Comment