Tuesday 18 December 2012

frustrating forest walks, confused dogs and Christmas galas

Had a busy few days.  On Saturday Rick had organised a hill run for the running club.  It was to be in three parts - toughies did a really challenging hill run, other runners did a forest trail run and others could do a walk in the forest.  I went with the walk as I was in charge of our children. In the end it didn't work out like it should.  Rick began with a recurrence of his viral pericarditis and when then happens he has to take it easy for a few days.  11yod was invited to a friends' house for the day and 13yos opted to stay with his dad.
So 7yos and I went for the walk with my running buddy who chose to walk with us.  The toughies managed without Rick and only got a little lost and the others did their own thing.  So it was a good day in the end.  The slightly frustrating thing about our walk is that we set off on our chosen route and got so far only to find they were working in the forest.  There had been no signs up until then.  We then took a while to find the path, diverted onto another one and when we got to where the path met the forest track it was cordoned off!!  We then followed another path alongside the river which was lovely.  However what should have been a 4/5 mile walk ending up being only 3 miles.  Nevermind.



The photo above is of 7yos having his picnic in the boot of the car after our walk.
On Sunday morning I got up to do my normal Sunday morning forest 3 mile run.  I had to take the head torch as it was still dark when I entered the forest.  It's lovely and mysterious at this time of the year when the dawn is just arriving.  Took the two dogs with me and we had run 1 mile when another runner came up behind us.  I hadn't seen him before and he stopped to chat about routes and things.  After a couple of minutes he ran off while I held the dogs back so they didn't follow him.  As soon as I  let the dogs go the border collie shot off after him and was gone for a good while before coming running back looking really sheepish.  I am convinced she thought he was Rick and went off to join him.  Whether she caught up with the runner I have no idea but she delayed me for long enough that I had to cut my 3 mile run into a 2 mile run.  Very frustrating.  I shall do 8 miles in the forest this afternoon and shall only be taking the springer! 
Later on Sunday was the swim club gala where I am chairperson and normally started! 13yos and 11yod are members of the swim club and 7yos swam as a mascot.  Great fun, great swimming and a good end to the first term back.



Yesterday 23yos came home for Christmas!  Wonderful to see him and it feels like the beginning of the holidays now than they are starting to come home.








No comments:

Post a Comment