Sunday 9 June 2013

walks, waterfalls and wonder

We had a great day yesterday.  Lots of us were doing interesting things.  23yos was visiting his girlfriend in Leeds before coming home for a while.  It will be really good to have him home.  22yos was at his home in the big city and 19yos was away with friends.  14yos had arranged to meet some friends at the beach given that the weather was so good, and they had a great day by all accounts.  12yod was at a water activity centre as part of the annual trip organised by the junior youth fellowship she attends.  So they were all busy.  Rick wanted to do a long run so 7yos and I decided to do a walk up in the hills while he was running.  As it was such a lovely day we took a picnic to have when we all met up again after Rick's run.  It was really quite hot but so beautiful to be out!
 There are so many wild flowers around and the forest floor was carpeted with bluebells.  When we got back to the car we got our wild flower book out to identify some we didn't know.
 The path we took winds alongside some rapids and then a calmer part of the river, before crossing over a wooden bridge with stunning views out the the hills.  Then it meanders along through fields and woods with the river never far away.  The photo above shows the view out to Bennan, the hill I ran up and down in January.
 It was such a hot day and this crazy dog found every piece of mud and pool of water to get herself into in order to cool down.  She knows how to do a walk!!
 Once we met up again and had our picnic, we sat by the waterfall and Rick and the other dog got in the water to cool down.  I love the photo above of Fern peeping through the grasses.  She so loves being outdoors.
One man and his dog (or his son's dog!)

 Max had a great time in the river trying to work out how to get across without getting his shorts and T-shirt wet.  Not sure why he didn't want to go in all the way but he must have had some reason.  He spent about 3 minutes turning round and round on this rock to try and work out the best way to get off it dry!
The picnic spot was lovely, right by the visitor's centre which was closed for refurbishment (what a daft time of year to do that) and I love using the picnic rug which my great friend Jenny made for me and the bag which my sister bought for me in South Africa.
Two of my wonderful family - one wet and one dry and it's not the way round you would think!  A lovely day out.
Then this morning I got up early and took the springer into the woods for a little run to see how the hip held up (have been resting it since the half marathon as it has been sore).  All went well and it was a truly amazing run.  The little pain ran through a whole swathe of bluebells and red campions and was so beautiful.  I found myself singing under my breath

When through the woods, and forest glades I wonder
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook and feel the gentle breeze

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art

And when I think, that God His Son not sparing
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in
That on the Cross, my burden gladly baring
He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art

1 comment: