Tuesday 20 May 2014

50/50 7 miler

This evening it is glorious Scottish spring weather.  Marie and I had planned a 7 mile run/walk and couldn't have asked for better weather.  We chose a country lane route out from my house, 1.25 mile through the village and then a steady 2 mile climb up past fields and farms.  The bluebells were out in force and the wild garlic smelled wonderful.  We mostly fast walked that hill and at first I felt a little discouraged about that but I really have to remember where I am coming from.  There were growing lambs with their mums in the fields all around. The next 3 miles are mostly down hill and that was so encouraging as I ran most of that.  It is so good to be out again.
A short way down the downhill section is the lovely small loch above.  The photo above is massively unflattering (excuse the pun) but shows that I mean business on my return to running.  My running buddy is so encouraging and we talk through a lot of my feelings about running.  She made me be more fair on myself, accept all the massive life changes we have had recently and start to enjoy the journey again.  So many things in life can push out looking after myself and I do need to make that a priority.
Anyway - it took me a long time to run/walk those 7 miles but I feel a massive sense of achievement.  On Saturday there is a local half marathon with a 7 mile run as well and I intend to do it as part of my "return" programme.  I will be slow and I will be last but I will get round the 7 mile course with a smile on my face.

The journey goes on....................

No comments:

Post a Comment